Sunday 13 January 2019

Sophie Tucker born 13 January 1886


Sophie Tucker (January 13, 1886* – February 9, 1966) was a Ukrainian-born American singer, comedian, actress, and radio personality. Known for her powerful delivery of comical and risqué songs, she was one of the most popular entertainers in America during the first half of the 20th century. She was widely known by the nickname "The Last of the Red Hot Mamas".

She was born Sonia Kalish to a Jewish family in Tsarist Russia. Her family emigrated to the United States when she was an infant, and settled in Hartford, Connecticut. The family changed its name to Abuza, and her parents opened a restaurant.

She started singing for tips in her family's restaurant. In 1903, at the age of 17, she was briefly married to Louis Tuck, from which she decided to change her name to "Tucker." (She would marry twice more in her life, but neither marriage lasted more than five years.)

Tucker played piano and sang burlesque and vaudeville tunes, at first in blackface. She later said that this was at the insistence of theatre managers, who said she was "too fat and ugly" to be accepted by an audience in any other context. She even sang songs that acknowledged her heft, such as "Nobody Loves a Fat Girl, But Oh How a Fat Girl Can Love." Not content with performing in the simple minstrel traditions, Tucker hired some of the best African American singers of the time to give her lessons, and hired African American composers to write songs for her act.

Tucker made her first appearance in the Ziegfeld Follies in 1909, but didn't last long there because Florenz Ziegfeld's other female stars soon refused to share the spotlight with the popular Tucker. William Morris, the founder of the William Morris Agency booked Tucker fresh off her Follies debut at his new American Music Hall. At a 1909 appearance, the luggage containing Tucker's makeup kit was stolen shortly before the show, and she hastily went on stage without her customary blackface. Tucker was a bigger hit without her makeup than with it, and, at the advice of Morris, she never wore blackface again.

Tucker made several popular recordings. They included "Some of These Days," which came out in 1911 on Edison Records. The tune, written by Shelton Brooks, was a hit, and became Tucker's theme song. Later, it was the title of her 1945 autobiography.


                           

In 1921, Tucker hired pianist and songwriter Ted Shapiro as her accompanist and musical director, a position he would keep throughout her career. Besides writing a number of songs for Tucker, Shapiro became part of her stage act, playing piano on 
stage while she sang, and exchanging banter and wisecracks with her in between numbers. Tucker remained a popular singer through the 1920s, and hired stars such as Mamie Smith and Ethel Waters to give her lessons.

In 1925, Jack Yellen wrote one of her most famous songs, "My Yiddish Momme". The song was performed in large American cities where there were sizable Jewish audiences. Tucker explained, "Even though I loved the song and it was a sensational hit every time I sang it, I was always careful to use it only when I knew the majority of the house would understand Yiddish. However, you didn't have to be a Jew 
to be moved by 'My Yiddish Momme.' 'Mother' in any language means the same thing." She also made the first of her many movie appearances in the 1929 sound picture Honky Tonk.

In the 1930s, Tucker brought elements of nostalgia for the early years of 20th century into her show. She was billed as The Last of the Red Hot Mamas, as her hearty sexual appetite was a frequent subject of her songs, unusual for female performers of the era. She made numerous popular film appearances, including Broadway Melody of 1938. In that film, Tucker sings a song during the big finale; even though she is playing a character and not herself, several neon lights displaying her real name light up in the background of the stage in tribute.

In the 1950s and early 1960s, she made television appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show, What's My Line, Person to Person, and The Tonight Show. Tucker died of lung cancer and kidney failure on February 9, 1966, aged 80, in New York City. She had continued working until the months before her death, playing shows at the Latin Quarter just weeks before. She is buried in Emanuel Cemetery, in Wethersfield, Connecticut, her home state. (Info edited from Wikipedia) (*other sources give birth year as 1884 or 1887)

6 comments:

boppinbob said...

FOR “Sophie Tucker - The Great Sophie Tucker” GO HERE:

https://www1.zippyshare.com/v/LxqjdYni/file.html

Disc 1

1. Some Of These Days
2. After You've Gone
3. I Ain't Got Nobody
4. One Sweet Letter From You
5. Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong
6. Blue River
7. I Ain't Takin' Orders From No One
8. What'll You Do?
9. There'll Be Some Changes Made
10. The Man I Love
11. My Pet
12. 'Cause I Feel Low Down
13. Oh! You Have No Idea
14. Stay Out Of The South
15. There's Something Spanish In My Eyes
16. Virginia
17. He's Tall, Dark And Handsome
18. My Yiddishe Momme
19. I Know That My Baby Is Cheating On Me
20. Conversational Man
21. He Hadn't Up Till Yesterday
22. Is He The Boy Friend?
23. Aren't Women Wonderful?
24. I'm Doin' What I'm Doin' For Love
25. He's A Good Man To Have Around
26. I'm Feathering A Nest
27. I'm The Last Of The Red Hot Mammas

Disc 2

1. That's What I Call Sweet Music
2. I Don't Want To Get Thin
3. Moanin' Low
4. Follow A Star
5. I Never Can Think Of The Words
6. If Your Kisses Can't Hold The Man You Love
7. That's Where The South Begins
8. Washin' The Blues From My Soul
9. That Man Of My Dreams
10. Too Much Lovin'
11. Hollywood Will Never Be The Same
12. Makin' Wicky-Wacky Down In Waikiki
13. What Good Am I Without You?
14. That's Something To Be Thankful For
15. Stay At Home Papa
16. Louisville Lady
17. April In Paris
18. No One Man Is Ever Going To Worry Me
19. Life Begins At Forty
20. When A Lady Meets A Gentleman Down South
21. Foolin' With The Other Woman's Man
22. You'll Have To Swing It
23. The Lady Is A Tramp
24. The Bigger The Army And The Navy
25. Some Of These Days

Billed variously as, 'The Queen Of Jazz' & 'The Last Of The Red Hot Mamas'. She was the larger than life Sophie Tucker. By popular demand Jasmine Records released this stunning collection of 52 classic tracks in 2005 by one of the greatest stars ever to tread the boards on the vaudeville circuit.

A big thank you to Xena Dress @ ACM2 Blog for original post.

JennyD said...

WOW. I remember when I was just a kid watching her old movies on TV and I was fascinated by her. She was truly one-of-a-kind. Later on (STILL watching old movies) I wondered if she and Mae West were actually sisters. No, they weren't, but both were pretty 'insatiable' if you catch my drift and that was a big deal for those days. Good lord...I just realized I'm old.
Thanks so much for sharing this Sophie Tucker and I am really looking forward to listening to it from beginning to end :)

boppinbob said...

Hello Jenny, thanks for your input. Always welcome. I am not as old as you may think, regarding my birthday celebs. My oldest surviving brother was born 10 years before me. which makes him 74. Therefore I will not disclose my age. I was brought up during the mid 50's but early 60's was the time of my brothers babysitting with their girlfriends playing all the old stuff from the 40's & 50's. Hence my radio shows on Angel radio. (By the way after 43 years of marriage the wife still likes the Bay City Rollers. Best regards, Bob.

Stefano said...

Hi bobppinbob, can you reup this please?
Thank You

boppinbob said...

Hello Stefano, Here's the new link for Sophie.

https://mega.nz/file/JrpQCDTQ#WZZaD9nbn57vDUSMPAxk-8GNNwYPShWLiTAK2Sg4leI

Stefano said...

Thank You!