Wednesday 3 November 2021

Joe "Papoose" Fritz born 3 November 1924


Joe “Papoose” Fritz (November 13, 1924 – 12 June 1983) was a blues saxophonist. 

Joseph Fritz Jr. was born in Houston. He allegedly earned his nickname "Papoose" because he thought he might have some Native American in him. His whereabouts and early life are somewhat of a mystery, although it is known he was on the road and in studios following big Texas blues names like Junior Parker, Huey Smith and Albert Collins, learning the performance side of the music business.

Splitting his time between playing the saxophone onstage and in the studio as well as singing in front of his own band, his reputation grew among blues fans and fellow musicians. Sometime in the 40s he was drafted into the Navy to fight in World War II, and he left the service as a Steward 3rd Class. 


                              

Back on the road in Texas, he recorded more than twenty tracks under his own name for labels Modern, Sittin' In With, Peacock or Jet Stream from 1950 to the late 1960's. Hid did manage a top 10 R&B hit in 1950 with “I Love You My Darlin’”

He died on 12 June 1983 and is buried in Houston Cemetery.

(Edited from The Texas Underground)

7 comments:

boppinbob said...

For “Joe “Papoose” Fritz” - Texas Blues” go here:

https://www.upload.ee/files/13604795/Joe_Papoose_Fritz_-_Texas_Blues.rar.html

01. Wrong doing woman (March 1950)
02. If I be lucky
03. Better wake up baby
04. Real fine girl
05. Please get me off your mind (September 1950)
06. I love you my darling
07. I'm so sorry
08. Bad bad women blues
09. I've tried not to love you
10. Lady Bear boogie
11. Please my darling (December 1950)
12. They were right
13. Make her see things my way (January 1951)
14. Summer's coming on (February 1951)
15. I'm not suspicious but
16. Honey honey (October 1953)
17. The woman I love
18. Good doctor, sweet soul (1966)
19. Aww she's a stepper
20. I'm a stepper

All recorded at Houston, Texas.
A big thank you goes to Gérard Herzhaaft @ Blue Eye for mp3’s.

Dj Diego MC said...

¿No hay enlace de descarga? :(

Bob Mac said...

Big thanks for this, I didn't have this and can't understand why, it must have popped up on one of the blues blogs before now...perhaps it did and I missed it. Anyway, good to have a copy now.

boppinbob said...

Hello DJ Diego MC, The Link Works ok. Try a VPN.

Bob Mac said...

OK I understand now, it's a HMC from Gerard's blog. I thought it was an LP/CD and couldn't understand how I'd never seen it before. LOL.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this. This is my grandfather.

Unknown singer said...

Thank you so much. This is my dad!