Tuesday 26 May 2020

Linda Laurie born 26 May 1941


Linda Maxine Laurie (May 26, 1941 - November 20, 2009) was an American singer and songwriter, best known for the novelty record "Ambrose (Part 5)", which went to #52 on the Billboard chart while she was still a high school student in 1959.

She made her first record, 'Sun Glasses' by The Shades Featuring The Knott Sisters, with her friend Susan Yellin when she was just 17 years old and the two were still attending Abraham Lincoln High School in Brooklyn. It was issued on Big Top 3003 in 1958. The flip side was 'Undivided Attention' simply credited to The Knott Sisters.

Linda Laurie is one of several artists who made some great records, but never got on the Top 40 charts with any of them. That's not to say she never made a chart record, as the second record she ever made, and the first one to bear her name as the artist, reached No.52 on Billboard's Hot 100 in March 1959. 

It was a bizarre novelty record that she made in 1958 on Glory Records, then personally shopped it around to radio stations. It got a lot of airplay on the East Coast, particularly in the New York City and Philadelphia areas.

To say this record was strange would be an understatement. It's a spoken-novelty record with heavy Brooklyn accents. It features Linda Laurie as a girl walking through a dark subway tunnel with her boyfriend, Ambrose, an almost perverted-sounding older guy whose deep voice was also done by Linda! Although it was called 'Ambrose (Part Five)' there were never any earlier versions. (The flip side, "Ooh, What A Lover", also received some airplay.)


                                   

The songs success helped to land her a spot on rock and roll package shows—including Alan Freed’s stage shows at the Brooklyn Paramount and Lee Gordon’s “Big Show” tours in Australia—as well as television show appearances.The song's notoriety was enough to get young Linda on the February 10, 1959 edition of To Tell The Truth; only two of the four panelists correctly identified her.

Laurie found the travel strenuous and eventually settled back in New York. In the sixties, Laurie co-owned a boutique dress shop in Manhattan, but she continued to perform music on her own terms. She was a regular at Trude Heller’s club in the West Village. She made several more teen and novelty records, for various labels.. Although she never hit the charts again with her own material, her records have become very popular with collectors, such as "Stay with Me" (Andie 5015); "Chico" (Keetch 6001); "Lucky" (Recona 3502); "Prince Charming" (Rust 5022); and "Stay-At-Home Sue" (Rust 5042).  

Linda also cut some records to follow-up her only chart hit. They include 'Forever Ambrose' and 'Return Of Ambrose'. There was even a record about Ambrose made by another group, Jimmy And The Valentines on Cub 9024 in 1959. It was called 'Just Keep Walkin' by Ambrose. Linda also made a favorite Answer Song when she cut 'Stay-At-Home Sue', a response to Dion's 'Runaround Sue."

After relocating to the West Coast, Laurie started writing songs for other artists such as Bobby Vinton, Sonny And Cher, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, and Love Unlimited. Her biggest claim to fame came when a song she wrote and recorded herself got covered by Helen Reddy and became a No.3 chart hit in 1973. That song was 'Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)'. Linda also wrote the theme music for the Saturday morning show, 'Land Of The Lost', which was later used in the 2009 movie version starring Will Farrell. It was even covered by Everclear. 'I Did It For Love', the disco song she wrote for Love Unlimited in 1977, was sampled on several hip hop songs in the 1990's, like 'It's All About The Benjamins' by Puff Daddy (on an extended remix for DJ Clue's Holiday Holdup mix tape in 1996), 'Money In The Bank' by Swizz Beats, 'Miss You' by Mariah Carey, and 'The Gang' by Shyne.

Linda Laurie became Executive Director for Theatre Of Life For
Children, a community-based organisation dedicated to providing multi-cultural access to performing arts for children. In addition to providing organizational leadership, she worked directly with student actors.

She was diagnosed with cancer and passed away at the age of 68 on 20 November 2009 in Santa Barbara, California.

(Edited from article by David McKee @ 45cat.com & womeninrockproject)

FOOTNOTE: There are not many pictures of Linda on the web. The same old few crop up repeatedly, which I have used.  But there is one glamorous picture that appears frequently (look right). I cannot confirm that it is in fact her. A few comments on various web sites state that it is definitely not. But the mystery continues as I managed to trace the photo back to Bert Berns web site. Bert was a songwriter, producer and label chief. He produced two of Linda’s singles: Jose He Say & Chico, also this photograph is currently on sale on ebay, as Linda Laurie.……. Any comments anyone?

14 comments:

boppinbob said...

Here are 25 songs relating to Linda Laurie as a singer, songwriter and co-composer, beginning in 1958 with her first recording with Susan Yellin when she was only 17. The sources are mainly from my music library sprinkled with a few YouTube conversions, so beware - bitrates and quality may differ. As with my previous post, I couldn’t find a tribute compilation anywhere on CD, so possibly my small contribution may be unique!)
So For “Linda laurie – Collected Songs” go here:

https://www.upload.ee/files/11771821/Linda_Laurie_-_Collected_Songs.rar.html

THE SINGLES
1. The Shades ft. The Knott Sisters – Sun Glasses (1958)
2. Linda Laurie – Ooh What A Lover (1958)
3. Linda Laurie - Ambrose Pt. 5 (1958)
4. Linda laurie - Forever Ambrose (1958)
5. Linda Laurie – Stay With me (1959)
6. Linda Laurie – All Winter Long (1959)
7. Linda Laurie - Prince Charming (1960)
8. Linda Laurie – Soupin’ Up Your Mother
9. Linda Laurie – Stay At Home Sue (1961)
10. Linda Laurie – Where Do You Go (1963)
11. Linda Laurie – Lucky (1963)
12. Linda laurie – Jose He Say (1964)
13. Linda Laurie – Chico (1964)
14. Linda Laurie – One Day (demo1966)
THE SONGS
15. Sonny & Cher – Crystal Clear Muddy Water (1971)
16. Nancy Sinatra – Life’s A Trippy Thing (1971)
17. Cher – When You Find Out Where You’re Going Let me Know (1971)
18. Bobby Vinton – I’m Comin’ Home Girl (1972)
19. Jim Nabors – A Girl Named Noel (1972)
20. Helen Reddy – Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress) (1973)
21. Dionne Warwick – Who Knows (1975)
22. The Walker Brothers – Burn Our Bridges (1975)
23. Diana Ross – You Got It (1977)
24. Love Unlimited - I Did It For Love (1977)
25. Everclear _ Land Of The Lost (2007)

Larry said...

Thanks for this upload... but there is one thing I'd like to point out. I actually talked to Linda and she says that the picture of that lady on the piano is not her! I made a Cd cover posted for her and used that pic. She told me she has no clue why that picture is on the internet as her. So I changed it and sadly, a couple of months later she passed away. She told me and my late friend Wesley Smith that she wished she could of been the Music Hall of Fame under a novelty category. We sent her a CD collection (with a new cover) and I won't forget her! One great memory!

boppinbob said...

Hello Larry, Thanks for your input. After careful consideration I have changed the questionable photograph, bur there is still some doubt regarding it's origin. A few years ago I read that it was taken during the recording of Chico & Jose He Say, which was produced by Bert Berns who sadly cannot confirm this, as he also has passed on. Plus someone on ebay is fraudulently gaining money by selling said photos.

I hope you are not offended with my compilation. I tried to accrue of of her commercial singles but not everyone has been transferred to CD. You may have noticed I am six titles missing hence more of her wonderful versions of songs by other artists to fill the CD. Out of curiosity I would love to see your CD cover and playlist you compiled for her. My little compilation is purely to highlight Linda's artistry and to keep her music and songs alive. as with other artists covered on my blog.
Regards. Bob

Crab Devil said...

This is great -- thank you very much!

Larry said...

HEY BOB, GREAT SITE! I wish I still had that but I'll see if I can re-create it! LOL! Linda Laurie has pointed out "That woman is older than from the look of that outfit! I was just a kid!"
And as far as that photos on the Atlantic records, The one with a lady and a Spanish guy in a sombrero, I don't think so at all! There is one of another cover with a small square pic that is her!
https://alchetron.com/Linda-Laurie

Daddy Cool said...

Re. paragraph 2: BigTop 3003 comprised two song demos by two separate teams of writers. The demos were purchased by BigTop and artist credits assigned by them with the result that female vocals on both sides were listed as The Knott Sisters even though none of the singers were the same. Linda and Susan are only on "Undivided Attention".

This is the Fred Clemens comment that David McKee refers to http://musicmasteroldies.com/2012/01/14/new-oldies-soupin-up-your-motor-by-linda-laurie/ Note that he changes his opinion between 14/1/2012 and the comment on 17/3/2012
http://whitedoowopcollector.blogspot.com/2014/07/picture-sleevethe-shades.html also features the same line-up plus it gives you a working YouTube link for “Undivided Attention”.

The disputed photograph is by James J. Kriegsmann – theatrical photographer and songwriter credits inc. “Happy Organ”. Checkout Discogs for a list of his compositions plus photographs for EPs and LPs. I skimmed through 400+ of his pics – I did find the piano with Fats Domino, Duke Ellington, George Shearing and Harvey Fuqua but not her.

boppinbob said...

Hi DC, Thank you so much for your corrective comment. As I only have a few hours to research, compose and edit my daily celebrity birthday post, I can only rely in the information I obtain via web sites, books etc.. as hopefully trustworthy hence some errors do creep in. Sometimes I am asked to do a specific artist, but most of the time they are randomly picked. The majority of the singers are well known, but I do enjoy discovering those I have never heard of, such as Linda Laurie.
I appreciate all comments especially when, like yours, give that extra piece of information that can resolve any errors. Regards, Bob.

Frank Fleming said...

My name is Frank Fleming Junior I recorded a song in 1961 written by Linda Gertz “ all by myself alone “ on Laurie records

Mike Dragonetti said...

Hi again, Bob!
It's the first time I've been here in a while.
I just tried to go to your new, improved link. No trojan horse, but it's got the dreaded 404 message, "webpage not available."
What I'm actually looking to do is get a copy of Linda Laurie's version of, "Leave Me Alone."
It's impossible to find anywhere, even on those mp3juice sites!

Thanks again!

Mike Dragonetti

boppinbob said...

Hello Mike, It's your lucky day. Firstly here's the link of my compilation

https://www.imagenetz.de/

Secondly I found Leave Me Alone on a private music blog. It was posted 2011 but link was dead, but as soon as I requested a re-up someone replied. So here's your long sought after track in this marvelous 22 track compilation

https://www.imagenetz.de/mbYV6

01. Soupin' Up Your Motor
02. Prince Charming
03. Stay At Home Sue
04. Where Do You Go
05. Lucky
06. All Winter Long
07. One Day
08. Ambrose - Pt 5
09. Ambrose Returns
10. Forever Ambrose
11. Ooh What A Lover
12. Stay With Me
13. Jose He Say
14. Chico
15. Wherever He Goes I Go
16. Sunglases-The Knott Sisters-Linda Laurie & Susan Yellin
17. Undevided Attention-The knott Sisters Linda Laurie & Susan Yellin
18. Ruby Red Dress(Leave Me Alone-Linda Laurie
19. Cowboy Convention-California Breakmen
20. Dance Me To Death-Gary Driver
21. I'm Yours-Gary Driver
22. Susie Darlin-Robin Luke (Studio Version)

After posting this I noticed track 14, Chico was unplayable (but my version is ok)

BrianFerrari said...

Great post! Here's some info about that Kriegsmann photo that is not our Linda Laurie. I found it on eBay 20+ years ago - it was one of two photos with the name "Linda Laurie" printed on them. The seller had a lot of burlesque performers also photographed by Kriegsmann. Thinking it was THE Linda Laurie, I uploaded it to the Spectropop website where people were able to access it for years. As others have pointed out, Linda herself stated that it definitely wasn't her. By this time I no longer had access to Spectropop and could not take it down. I still have the second photo of this other Linda Laurie sitting in a different position on her piano - I have never seen it circulating and I'm glad I didn't upload it at the time. Sorry for the confusion but I hope this explanation helps!

Mike Dragonetti said...

Hi Bob,

Awesome find! And you were kind enough to send the entire collection! I was able to find a converter online to convert the rar files to mp3!

This made my day! Thank you!

Mike Dragonetti

Anonymous said...

Hey, wow, great blog! I've just discovered Linda Laurie, and your blog, and I want more. Could you please re-up your two links, or could you send those songs to me?

carsonhawthorne123@gmail.com

“Linda Laurie – Collected Songs”
https://www.upload.ee/files/11771821/Linda_Laurie_-_Collected_Songs.rar.html
22 track compilation
https://www.imagenetz.de/mbYV6

Thank you!! I'm going to tell my lady friend, Dot, about your blog.

boppinbob said...

Hello Carson, Both are here in one winrar file.

https://www.imagenetz.de/dhCDJ

You'll note that some songs are duplicated, but I left the compilations as they are. Link is ok for 50 days. Regards, Bob