Friday 12 March 2021

Gloria Hart born 12 March 1924


Gloria Hart (born 12 March 1924 – 30 October 2011) is best remembered as the big band singer with the popular Chicago-based Art Kassel Orchestra from 1942 to 1965. 


Hart was born in Chicago, Illinois. She began singing in her teens, and was known as "The Little Girl With The Big Voice". She joined Art Kassel in early 1942 at the age of 23, replacing Marion Holmes., She also became a popular club and radio performer. 


In 1951 Kassel moved to Encino California where he appeared for two years with a new orchestra on a local television program, The Gloria Hart Show. She also made a few solo recordings between 1950 and 1955 with songs such as "Nickels, Quarters and Dimes" and "China Boy". 


                              

Gloria remained with his "Kassels-In-The-Air" until after his death in early 1965 when she largely retired from show business, although she occasionally performed in clubs in Chicago before finally retiring in the 1980s. According to liner notes, about this time she moved to Atlanta and began to write songs. 

                                 

Finally, when she was interviewed by a CD compiler in 2007, Gloria stated that she enjoyed listening to Beyonce and Whitney Houston but disliked rap and hip-hop, which she regarded as “sound, not music ". Gloria Hart died on 30 October 2011. 

Incredibly after an extensive search, the above information from 45cat.com is all I could muster except for little snippets here and there. (If anyone can expand this bio please let me know).

6 comments:

boppinbob said...

GLORIA HART & ART KASSEL - DID ANYONE ASK ABOUT ME?

Disc 1

https://krakenfiles.com/view/08678f95e7/file.html

1. A ZOOT SUIT (FOR MY SUNDAY GAL)
2. CANDY
3. ONCE TOO OFTEN
4. I'LL BE AROUND
5. TAKE IT EASY
6. YAH-TA-TA (TALK, TALK, TALK)
7. CAN'T YOU READ BETWEEN THE LINES?
8. ALL I DO IS WANTCHA
9. ONE DOZEN ROSES
10. BEAU NIGHT IN HOTCHKISS CORNERS
11. THE ECHO SAID NO
12. LET'S GET AWAY FROM IT ALL
13. KEEP COOL, FOOL
14. LET'S GET MARRIED
15. FORGET-ME-NOTS IN YOUR HEART
16. EV'RY NIGHT ABOUT THIS TIME
17. A LITTLE CONSIDERATION
18. SOONER OR LATER
19. ALL RIGHT, LOUIS, DROP THE GUN
20. OH! WHAT I KNOW ABOUT YOU
21. I'VE GOT A FEELING I'M FALLING
22. FRANKIE AND JOHNNY
23. I NEVER MET A TEXAN
24. I SAID IT AND I'M GLAD
25. I'D LIKE TO TELL MY TROUBLES TO YOU
26. SOMEONE TO LOVE
27. RED ROSE WALTZ
28. NICKELS, QUARTERS AND DIMES

Disc 2

https://krakenfiles.com/view/09756a78c0/file.html

1. I WOULD RATHER LOOK AT YOU
2. OH! HOW I LOVE YOU
3. DID ANYONE ASK ABOUT ME?
4. HIS EXCELLENCY OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF LITTLE PINK TOES
5. PRETTY KITTY BLUE EYES
6. CAN I FORGET?
7. MY SWEETIE'S GONE
8. I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO
9. THE ISLE OF CAPRI
10. I'LL STRING ALONG WITH YOU
11. I HAD SOMEONE ELSE
12. BEYOND THE REEF
13. MEDLEY:
LOOK FOR THE SILVER LINING
I'M ALWAYS CHASING RAINBOWS
14. YOU'VE GOT TO SEE MAMMA EV'RY NIGHT
15. SWEET WORDS
16. CHINA BOY
17. DOODLE-DOO-DOO CHA-CHA
18. THE WHIFFENPOOF SONG
19. PALE POTOMAC MOON
20. I ONLY WANT A BUDDY - NOT A SWEETHEART
21. SO YOU LEFT ME FOR THE LEADER OF A SWING BAND
22. HE, SHE AND ME (EL, ELLA Y YO)
23. KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR
24. OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND
25. ALEXANDER THE SWOOSE (HALF SWAN, HALF GOOSE)
26. YOU AND ME
27. PENNSYLVANIA POLKA

55 tracks including rare recordings donated by the Maar Sound Archive, and popular recordings "All Right, Louis, Drop the Gun", "One Dozen Roses", "Oh! How I Love You", and "I Would Rather Look at You".Including original radio broadcasts from the "Art Kassel Show “and early recordings with vocalists Jimmy Featherstone, Marion Holmes, Billy Leach and Art Kassel himself. (Jasmine notes)

D said...

another gem
thanks BB

rntcj said...

Hi!

Thanx for this. "New" artist(s) here = "new" hears here. Similar to Dr. Suess, song "Baby It's Cold Outside" etc. the U/L'ed YT track would also be considered to be banned, eh?!

Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj

Aussie said...

G'DAY I DONT NOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BUT I LIKE IT THANK YOU FROM AUSSIE

Jacdaw said...

Another new one Bob but very nice listening. Thanks

Steve Rydzewski said...

Never heard this recording of 'China Boy' but it sure reminds me of Les Paul and Mary Ford. Great posts and info, Bob. Thank you. - SteveR, Philadelphia