Thursday 10 October 2013

Ivory Joe Hunter born 10 October 1914


Ivory Joe Hunter (October 10, 1914 – November 8, 1974) was an African American R&B singer, songwriter and pianist, best known for his hit recording, "Since I Met You, Baby" (1956). Billed as The Baron of the Boogie, he was also known as The Happiest Man Alive. He is sometimes confused with Motown producer-songwriter Ivy Joe Hunter.

Born in Kirbyville, Texas, he was christened Ivory Joe as an infant. Developing an early interest in music from his father, Dave Hunter, who played guitar, and his gospel-singing mother, he was a talented pianist by the age of 13. As a teenager, Hunter made his first recording for Alan Lomax and the Library of Congress in 1933.

In the early 1940s, Hunter had his own radio show in Beaumont, Texas on KFDM, where he eventually became program manager, and in 1942, he moved to Los Angeles, joining Johnny Moore's Three Blazers in the mid-1940s. When he wrote and recorded his first song, "Blues at Sunrise" with the Three Blazers for his own label, Ivory Records, it became a regional hit.



In the late 1940s, Hunter founded Pacific Records, and in 1947, he recorded for Four Star Records and King Records. Two years later, he recorded his first R&B hits; on "I Quit My Pretty Mama" and "Guess Who" he was backed by members of Duke Ellington's band.

After signing with MGM Records, he recorded "I Almost Lost My Mind," which topped the 1950 R&B charts and would later (in the wake of Hunter's success with "Since I Met You Baby") be recorded by Pat Boone. "I Need You" was a number two R&B hit that same year. With his smooth delivery, Hunter became a hot R&B commodity, and he also began to be noticed in the country-Western music community. In April, 1951, he made his network TV debut on You Asked For It.




                             

By 1954, he had recorded more than a hundred songs and moved to Atlantic Records. His first song to cross over to the pop charts was "Since I Met You Baby" (1956). It was to be his only top 40 pop song, climbing to the number 12 position.

While visiting Memphis, Tennessee in the spring of 1957, Hunter


was invited by Elvis Presley to visit Graceland. The two spent the day together, singing "I Almost Lost My Mind" and other songs together. Hunter commented, "He showed me every courtesy, and I think he's one of the greatest." Hunter's "Empty Arms" and "Yes, I Want You" also made the pop charts, and he had a minor hit with "City Lights" in 1959, just before his popularity began to decline. Hunter came back as a country singer in the late 1960s, making regular Grand Ole Opry appearances and recording an album titled "I've Always Been Country."

During the 1950s, white artists recorded covers of top R&B tunes. In 1956, when Pat Boone recorded Hunter's smash 1950 R&B hit,
"I Almost Lost My Mind," it became a number one hit in 1956. Country singer Sonny James issued a version of "Since I Met You, Baby," and it topped the country charts in 1969, paving the way for Hunter's album The Return of Ivory Joe Hunter and Hunter’s appearance at the Monterey Jazz Festival.

Hunter was a prolific songwriter, and some estimate he wrote more than 7,000 songs. Among those songs are two that Presley put in the top 20: "My Wish Came True" and "Ain't That Loving You, Baby." 




In December 73 Ivory was diagnosed with lung cancer and shortly before his death the Opry held a star studded benefit with George Jones, Sonny James (he'd had recent number 1 country hits with Empty Arms and Since I Met You Baby), Tammy and Issac Hayes appearing. Elvis sent a donation and a telegram. Ivory had been airlifted to the show from his sickbed in a Memphis hospital, where health costs had decimated his royalties. Stoically he performed from a wheelchair. He died in Memphis the following year and was buried in Kirbyville. (info mainly Wikipedia)

5 comments:

boppinbob said...

For Ivory Joe Hunter - Woo Wee! The King And DeLuxe Acetate Series
go here: https://mega.co.nz/#!BhZzAC4A!Pq05vXO3AzNEEeavrbC0txLBPXALpW3IKmqmmOXfFZQ

01 I Like It
02 Changing Blues
03 All States Boogie
04 That's The Gal For Me
05 I Quit My Pretty Mama
06 The Code Song (I Love You)
07 Stop Rocking That Train
08 Lying Woman
09 Siesta With Sonny
10 Don't Be No Fool, Fool
11 Come On, Let Your Hair Down
12 Blues At Sunrise
13 She's Gone Blues
14 Old Gal And New Gal Blues
15 No Money, No Luck Blues
16 In Time
17 False Friend Blues
18 Send Me, Pretty Mama
19 Landlord Blues
20 Woo Wee Blues
21 Don't Know
22 I Got Your Water On
23 Guess Who
24 All States Boogie (Take 1)
25 Lying Woman (Take 1).
26 Old Gal And New Gal Blues (Take 1)

zephyr said...

I think Ivory Joe is just great Bob I have enjoyed his music for a long time

Silvio said...

Hello,
Could you please make this one available for download again?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks very much,

boppinbob said...

Hello Silvio....here's Ivory Joe

https://krakenfiles.com/view/n0UhB6doty/file.html

Silvio said...

Hello,
I have just downloaded... thanks a lot.