Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Damita Jo born August 5, 1930

Damita Jo DeBlanc (August 5, 1930 – December 25, 1998), known professionally as Damita Jo, was an American singer and comedian who remains best known for the million-selling 1960 smash "I'll Save the Last Dance for You," her ingenious riposte to the Drifters' "Save the Last Dance for Me." 

Born in Austin, Texas, she was the daughter of Herbert and Latrelle (Plummer) DeBlanc, and she showed singing ability at a very early age. During World War II the family relocated to Santa Barbara, California, where her father was stationed in the United States Navy. She attended high school there but periodically returned to Austin to visit relatives. DeBlanc attended Samuel Huston College in Austin and the University of California at Santa Barbara. In 1949 with the backing of pioneering Los Angeles disc jockey Joe Adams she landed a two-month residency at the local Club Oasis in Los Angeles. Signed to Discovery Records, DeBlanc, known simply as Damito Jo, released her debut single, “Until the Real Thing Comes Along.” 

                                       

In 1951 Damita Jo joined the rhythm-and-blues group Steve Gibson & the 5 Red Caps, making her recorded debut on their single "I'm to Blame." Damita Jo was not only the featured vocalist on the Red Caps' 1952 hit "I Went to Your Wedding," but two years later became Gibson's wife. As the group's fortunes floundered, so did their marriage, they divorced in 1958, but she remained with the group until 1960. 

Signing to Mercury Records by producer Shelby Singleton, Damita Jo supported her Steve Allen-penned debut single "It Takes a Little Loneliness" with an appearance on Allen's late-night television showcase. Despite the publicity the record was not a hit, but she scored a Top 20 R&B smash with the sumptuous follow-up "I'll Save the Last Dance for You," written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman. With 1961's "I'll Be There," an answer song to Ben E. King's "Stand by Me," Damita Jo reached number 12 on the Billboard pop charts. That same year she married Biddy Wood, her manager, and they had a son.

In 1962 she recorded "Dance with a Dolly (With a Hole in her Stocking)", previously made famous by the Andrews Sisters and Bill Haley, for Mercury Records. Subsequent singles like "I Had Someone Else Before I Had You" and "I'll Get Along Somehow" stalled, and in the wake of the 1962 live LP Damita Jo at the Diplomat, a downturn in Damita Jo’s popularity led to Mercury’s termination of her contract.

She then signed with Epic and scored a minor chart entry with 1965's "If You Go Away." On May 9, 1967, she was honoured by the mayor and city council in Austin, Texas, on "Damita Jo Day" and by having a street named in her honour. Damita Jo gave birth to a daughter in 1970, but the girl died of sickle cell anemia three years later. With her recording career in decline, she turned to performing on the supper club circuit in the 1970s. She also toured with comedian Redd Foxx and appeared on his television show. In 1977 she toured with standup comedian Redd Foxx, and also played Atlantic City and backed up such greats as Ray Charles, Count Basie, and Lionel Hampton. 

During her career she recorded on many labels, including Discovery, RCA Victor, Mercury, Epic, Melic, and her own label, Black Masters. In 1983 she also composed and recorded a song entitled "The Color of Your Skin Makes No Difference" which has been used as a part of a program for students in the public school system in Baltimore, Maryland. Following a 1984 Atlantic City residency in support of Joey Bishop, Damita Jo announced her retreat from secular R&B, performing contemporary gospel for the remainder of her career.

By the mid-1980s Damita Jo focused on performing strictly gospel music. After a long battle with respiratory illness, Damita Jo died on Christmas Day 1998 in Baltimore, Maryland, at the age of 68.

Singer Janet Jackson, whose middle name is Damita Jo, named her album Damita (2004) after DeBlanc. In 2009 Damita Jo DeBlanc was inducted into the Austin Music Memorial.

(Edited from Texas State Historical Association, Wikipedia & AllMusic) 

6 comments:

boppinbob said...

For "Damita Jo – Love Laid Its Hand On Me 1952-1962 (2015 Jasmine)" go here:

https://pixeldrain.com/u/R6NP9S5w

Original 45s And 78s
1-1 I May Hate Myself In The Morning
1-2 Do I Do I Do I
1-3 Feelin' Kinda Happy
1-4 Always
1-5 Free Hearted
The Big Fifteen
1-6 How Will I Know?
1-7 My Heart Is Home
1-8 Write Me
1-9 The Gaucho Serenade
1-10 I Went To Your Wedding
1-11 Love Me Tenderly
1-12 Silhouettes
1-13 Story Tellin' Baby
1-14 I'll Never Cry
1-15 Disillusioned Lovers
1-16 You May Not Love Me
1-17 You've Got Me Dizzy
1-18 Together
1-19 Time Out For Tears
1-20 Flamingo
Original 45s
1-21 I Burned Your Letter
1-22 Keep Your Hands Off Of Him
1-23 Hush, Somebody's Calling My Name
1-24 Do What You Want

I'll Save The Last Dance For You
2-1 I'll Save The Last Dance For You
2-2 Ballerina
2-3 Dance With Me Henry (The Wallflower)
2-4 Let's Face The Music And Dance
2-5 When You Dance
2-6 Dancing On The Ceiling
2-7 Dance With A Dolly (With A Hole In Her Stocking)
2-8 Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
2-9 I Won't Dance
2-10 Dancing In The Dark
2-11 I Could Have Danced All Night
2-12 The Last Dance
Original 45s
2-13 I'll Be There
2-14 Love Laid Its Hands On Me
2-15 I Built My World Around A Dream
Sing A Country Song
2-16 The Tennessee Waltz
2-17 Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
2-18 I Walked Away From The Wreck
2-19 She's Got You
2-20 A Fallen Star
2-21 When Two Worlds Collide
2-22 I Went To Your Wedding
2-23 Funny How Time Slips Away
2-24 You're The Only Good Thing
2-25 Room Full Of Roses
2-26 Window Up Above
2-27 Crazy Arms

The music business seems to delight in categorisation so, for anyone charged with putting Damita Jo into a pigeonhole; it must be a nightmare task. Is she jazz? Is she pop? Is she R&B? Well, she has been considered all those things yet none of them because she is simply a singer's singer, a song stylist with one of the classiest, crystal-clear voices in the business. The first 20 tracks on the first disc feature Steve Gibson and The Red Caps for which Damita was a lead vocalist. This compilation features 3 LPs plus 12 bonus singles (Jasmine notes)

I found the above Jasmine compilation as two digital albums on Spotify but under the title of Oldies Selection Vols 1 & 2 and published by Pipe Dublin in 2021. As usual the playlist order had been radically changed and given new cover scans. I've put the mp3's (in glorious 320) back to their original order of play plus added scans of the original CD artwork.

For "Damita Jo - Three Classic Albums (@192)" go here:

https://pixeldrain.com/u/G3MVTLdm

Damita Jo – This One's For Me (1963 Mercury)
1 In The Dark 2:40
2 You Won't Let Me Go 2:42
3 I'm A Fool To Want You 2:57
4 Everybody's Somebody's Fool 2:02
5 June Night 2:18
6 Love You Madly 2:48
7 Fifteen Years (And I'm Still Serving Time) 2:30
8 A Good Man Is Hard To FInd 1:48
9 Besame Mucho 3:23
10 Speak To Me Of Love 2:15

Damita Jo – This Is Damita Jo (1965 Epic)
1 I Had Someone Else Before I Had You 2:37
2 Love Is Here To Stay 3:10
3 Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out 3:28
4 Happiness Is A Thing Called Love 2:57
5 I'll Get Along Somehow 4:29
6 Bye Bye Love 2:20
7 Alice Blue Gown 1:57
8 It Could Happen To You 1:40
9 If You Are But A Dream 3:17
10 Silver Dollar 2:52
11 I Could Have Told You 3:05
12 He Loves Me 3:45

Damita Jo – If You Go Away (1967) Epic
1 Love, I Found You
2 A Time To Love And A Time To Cry
3 No Guilty Feelings
4 If You Are But A Dream
5 An Affair To Remember
6 Dinner For One Please James
7 What Did I Have That I Don't Have?
8 Yellow Days
9 If You Go Away
10 My Man's Gone Now

djmcblues2 said...

Looks great. Thank you.

D said...

Excellent...thanks BB

krobigraubart said...

Thank you very much, Bob!
The Jasmine CD in FLAC:
https://workupload.com/file/NmuXxQa7Pch
I've sent PM via Rockhall.

krobigraubart said...

And two songs more:
https://workupload.com/file/74tusScex6n

Don Dan said...

Hello Bob,

More Damita

Jo Damita (1930-1999) 1961 The Big 15
https://pixeldrain.com/u/8QdkScbU

Jo Damita (1930-1999) 1962 Sing A Country Song
https://pixeldrain.com/u/5nHrxfw1

Jo Damita (1930-1999) 1965 Go Go With Damita
https://pixeldrain.com/u/UbzJckAf

Jo Damita (1930-1999) 1968 Miss Damita Jo
https://pixeldrain.com/u/KQpteLXJ

Jo Damita (1930-1999)1965 Damita Jo Sings
https://pixeldrain.com/u/B6BBLRkC

Have fun !

Don Dan
https://www.youtube.com/c/DonDanMusicChannel